Pulp Analysis Testing
The Pulping and Bleaching group at IPST has well-equipped laboratories for testing and analysis of raw materials and pulps. Standard methods for chip analysis and most pulp quality tests are available. Special capabilities include a computer controlled handsheet press with heated platens and a corona discharge instrument for surface modification of paper sheets.
Simulations of most pulping and bleaching processes can also be conducted to help you make informed decisions about your mill operations. Raw materials for pulping studies can be prepared with a Carthage chipper and Rader™ or ChipClass™ chip screens. Several batch pulping systems are available including a multi-unit mini-digester and a digester system with 4 liquor vessels for simulation of new batch and continuous cooking technologies. All conventional bleaching technologies as well as several new ones can be performed in our labs in high shear mixers. Pulp processing capabilities include laboratory screens, Valley Beater, PFI mill, and handsheet-making.
Please see our listing of specific capabilities and tests and contact us about your project needs.
Available equipment below:
- Multi-unit digester with 6 one-liter vessels and individual electric heaters
- Close up of vessels
- High-shear bleaching mixer with ozone injection capabilities
- Pilot digester system with liquor vessels for modified cooking
- Screen for pulp contaminant analysis
- Computer controlled handsheet press with heated platens for wet-pressing studies
- Corona discharge unit for paper surface modifications
- Pulper for pulp and wastepaper defibering
Raw Material Preparation
- Chip classifier
- Sprout refiners – 12" diameter
- Multi-unit digester with individual electric heating
- Three M/K digesters with indirect heating - approximate volume10 L
- Two batch digesters with direct or indirect heating - approximate volume 2 ft
- Automatic titrator for liquor analysis
- Water baths and sealed bags
- CRSTM high shear mixer with gas and liquid injection - 2 L volume
- Pressurized pig mixer
- Canadian Standard Freeness
- Valley, Sprout Waldron, Somerville flat screens
- Bauer-McNett Fiber Classifier
- Fiber Quality AnalyzerTM
- Valley Beater
- PFI Mill
- TAPPI Handsheets
- Standard TAPPI Strength Testing
- PULMACTM Shive Analyser
How to Request Testing
- Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with details regarding the nature of the request, the tests required and the problem or issue that is to be resolved. Provide billing contact name and address.
- Samples via courier (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.) may be sent to the attention of:
RBI at Georgia Tech
500 10th St. NW
Atlanta, GA. 30318-5794
If sending by U.S., mail, replace the ZIP code with 30332-0620
- A Purchase Order for an amount to cover the costs for the requested testing is required.
Georgia Institute of Technology
Bursar’s Office/A/C Receivable
225 North Avenue, NW
Lyman Hall, Suite #111
Atlanta, GA 30332-0257
A copy of the Purchase Order sent via fax to 404-894-4778 is requested.
- The sender should have the name of the appropriate RBI contact and phone number on their invoices/P.Os
- Receipt of samples coupled with e-mail detailing testing requirements and any background information initiates the generation of an internal project and officially starts the project.
- The work request is queued with others in order of time of receipt of samples. Work requests may be expedited under special circumstances.
- A report will be issued within the agreed turnaround time.
- Bills are sent separately by mail through the GT accounting system.
Pulp Analysis Equipment
Pilot digester system with liquor vessels for
Multi-unit digester with 6 one-liter vessels
Close up of vessels
High-shear bleaching mixer with ozone
Screen for pulp contaminant analysis
Computer controlled handsheet press with
Corona discharge unit for paper surface
Pulper for pulp and wastepaper defibering