Georgia Tech and PNNL share research capabilities and expertise in areas such as:
- Energy and the environment
- Cybersecurity of critical physics infrastructure
- Electric grid resilience
- Chemical processing and synthesis of alternative fuels, chemicals, and materials.
- National security
- Radiation detection
- Data Science and Visual Analytics
- Nuclear nonproliferation
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- PNNL advances the frontiers of knowledge, taking on some of the world’s greatest science and technology challenges.
- Strengths in chemistry, Earth sciences, biology, and data science are central to our scientific discovery mission.
- PNNL research lays a foundation for innovations that advance sustainable energy through decarbonization and energy storage and enhance national security through nuclear materials and threat analyses.
- PNNL collaborates with academia in fundamental research and with industry to transition technologies to market.
Georgia Institute of Technology
- Georgia Tech's engineering and computing Colleges are the largest and among the highest-ranked in the nation. The Institute also offers outstanding programs in business, design, liberal arts, and sciences.
- With more than $1 billion annually in research awards across all six Colleges and the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI), Georgia Tech is among the nation’s most research-intensive universities. It is an engine of economic development for the state of Georgia, the Southeast, and the nation.
- Georgia Tech’s mission is to develop leaders who advance technology and improve the human condition. Its mission and strategic plan are focused on making a positive impact in the lives of people everywhere.
- For more than 135 years, the people of Georgia Tech have dared to imagine and then create solutions for a better future. The innovative culture and leadership continue, for Progress and Service for all.
The enhanced collaboration between PNNL and Georgia Tech has three principal goals:
- Solve Big Problems by leveraging the integrated full weight of the nation’s and the collaboration’s intellectual capabilities and infrastructure in a multi-disciplinary and multiinstitutional manner.
- Sustain and Engage Human Capital by exposing a pipeline of talent to problems of practical importance and complex nature early in their academic programs.
- Accelerate Technology Adoption by introducing new ideas, science, and technology into the industrial and federal marketplace through diversified regional and market presence, and appropriate alignment and dissemination of jointly developed intellectual property.
- Scientific Discovery
- Sustainable Energy
- National Security
PNNL and GT have established a joint appointment arrangement. These appointments may be utilized to elevate the scientific impact and productivity of researchers at both institutions by:
- fostering collaborative research;
- deepening and broadening capabilities;
- facilitating transdisciplinary research;
- providing access to specialized instrumentation and other research tools; and
- giving students and interns new educational and training opportunities.
Student and Post-Doc Opportunities
PNNL hosts a wide range of student internships and post-doctoral opportunities.
PNNL offers a wide range of internships in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and business fields. Internships can be completed either during the summer or during the academic year.
PNNL post-doctoral programs are aimed at ambitious, dynamic and driven individuals looking to take on some of the world’s biggest challenges in science, energy and national security. Opportunities come with generous benefits and endless chances to learn and develop.