IPaT Launches Inaugural Summer Research Internship Program
May 13, 2021 — Atlanta, GA
In May 2021, the Institute for People and Technology (IPaT) at Georgia Tech hired five student interns for its inaugural summer internship program. IPaT’s new summer internship program is an opportunity for students looking to gain real-world experience related to research and community engagement. For 2021, the internship program duration is 12 weeks (May 17th to August 6th). All Georgia Tech students were invited to apply. This year’s summer interns will receive $5,000 for a full-time internship, and these internships can be done 100 percent virtually this year as an option.
The six selected Georgia Tech student interns for IPaT’s inaugural summer internship program are:
- Ben Koehler from Alpharetta, GA, majoring in computational media
- Kaleb Sixto from Tucker, GA, majoring in computational media
- Daniel Keehn from Marietta, GA, majoring in computational media
- David Peeler from Augusta, GA, majoring in computer science
- Jason Gao from Alpharetta, GA, majoring in computer science
- Ana Herrera from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, majoring in mechanical engineering
- Amandeep Singh from Chandigarh, India, majoring in Analytics
IPaT summer 2021 research projects available included (partial list):
- Smart Sea Level Sensors: we have a wide range of opportunities for students to work with this diverse project team addressing flooding on the Georgia coast. Seeking application software developers, IoT sensor experience (e.g. arduino), data analytics, community outreach and engagement, K-12 summer camp leads, etc.
- Air Quality Monitoring: we have a growing project both in Atlanta and Savannah working on low-cost monitoring solutions for both indoor and outdoor air quality. Seeking application software developers, data analytics, community outreach and engagement.
- Urban Heat Island Measurement: we are kicking off a heat island measurement campaign with the Atlanta Science Festival this spring that will go through the summer. Seeking application software developers, data analytics, community outreach and engagement.
- RNOC: seeking people interested in platforms architectures. This work includes exploring and building containers, orchestration, and AWS in support of various as IoT and mobile projects.
- Augmented/virtual reality: students interested in performing research and development in the areas of augmented/virtual reality and wearable computing. We are creating innovative systems to help diverse populations in the areas of work, healthcare, education, and entertainment.
- Development: student researchers that are interested in developing expertise with design, software development (particularly in game engines such as Unity3D and Unreal Engine), and human-computing interaction research methods in these domains.