Dr. Carlos Davila, Principal Research Engineer with the Sensors and Electromagnetic Applications Laboratory (SEAL) at GTRI and Dr. Julian Rimoli, the Pratt & Whitney Professor in the Aerospace Engineering department at the Georgia Institute of Technology, talk to podcast host Matthew Habib about their journeys from Puerto Rico and Argentina respectively to Georgia Tech, and the ways they give back to their professional and personal communities.
Dr. Davila has contributed to the GTRI and Georgia Tech communities through his work on the GTRI faculty promotion committee and his management of the Principles of Modern Radar book club, which serves employees throughout SEAL.
He has also participated in several STEM outreach events geared toward Hispanic students in the greater Atlanta area.
Dr. Rimoli leads a Georgia Tech research group that includes students from undergrad through PhD students and postdocs.
He created the “Truss Me!” app that helps students build intuition about mechanical structures through game-based exercises. It has been downloaded over 1 million times by students around the world. He also uses this app as part of a summer camp for Atlanta-area Hispanic students that takes the students through a full engineering design process.
Have feedback or additional questions about the podcast? Reach out to email@example.com
Additional Links to Notable Hispanic and Latinx Researchers at Georgia Tech:
- $2.9M NSF-funded Research Grant to Broaden Access to STEM Education for LatinX students
- Dr. Gabriel Rincon-Mora Elected Follow of the National Academy of Inventors (NAI)
- Dr. Ignacio Taboada Elected Spokesperson for IceCube South Pole Neutrino Observatory
- Dr. Andrés García receives Distinguished Professor Award
- In Dr. Paul Alanso’s Research, Satire is Serious Business
- CONECTech Lab, led by Dr. Javier Irizarry, receives grants to improve transportation infrastructures
- Dr. Carlos Silva Named Associate Editor of Science Advances
- Dr. Rosario Gerhardt Reappointed as Goizueta Foundation Faculty Chair
- Dr. Alejandro Toriello Appointed Leo and Louise Benatar Early Career Professorship
- Dr. Patricio Vela Receives ASCE Best Paper Award
- Dr. Martin Maldovan and Fantastic Phonons: Blocking Sound, Channeling Heat with “Unprecedented Precision”
- Dr. Diley Hernández Selected as Associate Vice President of Institute Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Dr. Facundo Fernandez Featured in the Society Pages
- Dr. Audrey Duarte, Memory and Aging
- Dr. Claudio Di Leo Receives Junior Faculty Teaching Award
- Host, Matthew Habib, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Host, Monica Ngando, email@example.com
- Host, Scott McAtee, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Producer, David Landry, email@example.com
- Producer, Anne Costolanski, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Producer, Charlie Harris, email@example.com
- Producer, Bryan Bledsoe, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Editor/Director, Diana Tiernan, email@example.com
- Engineer, Branden Camp, firstname.lastname@example.org