Novelis Undergraduate Scholars Program
The Novelis Innovation Hub at Georgia Tech is pleased to announce the launch of the inaugural Novelis Undergraduate Scholars Program for the 2024 calendar year. Nominations are sought from top undergraduate students conducting research in the general areas of sustainability (carbon footprint/energy/water/waste reduction), and AI/data science applications in materials and advanced manufacturing (e.g., metal additive manufacturing). As a global leader in innovative aluminum products and services and as the world's largest recycler of aluminum, championing the vision of a circular economy, Novelis has partnered with Georgia Tech to collaborate on R&D, and promote education of the next generation of engineers and scientists dedicated to building better products, innovative materials and manufacturing processes for a more sustainable world.
Novelis is headquartered in Atlanta with a global footprint, over 13,000 employees and recorded $18.3 billion in revenue for its 2023 fiscal year. Novelis is a subsidiary of Hindalco Industries Limited, an industry leader in aluminum and copper, and the metals flagship company of the Aditya Birla Group, a multinational conglomerate based in Mumbai, India. For more information about Novelis, please visit www.novelis.com and see their press release on expansion of the Novelis-GT Partnership.
• Inspire and promote excellence in undergraduate students in strategic growth areas of relevance to Novelis and Georgia Tech.
• Connect top undergraduate students and faculty mentors with Novelis scientists and engineers to learn about their research and explore collaboration and engagement opportunities.
• Create awareness of the state-of-the-art in technology, research and development in manufacturing, materials, and other areas, and to explore the interdisciplinary nature of Novelis operations and innovation.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
• Open to BS students in their third year and BSMS students in their third- or fourth year conducting research in the general areas of sustainability or AI/data science applications in materials and advanced manufacturing.
• Emphasis on academic excellence, research, industry experience, and a passion for learning by doing.
• Students must be enrolled full-time during the spring, summer, and fall 2024 terms.
• Undergraduate Scholars: $4,000 annual award (in monthly stipends) for the 2024 Calendar Year
• Participate in the 2024 Novelis Scholars Day event to be held at the Novelis Global Research & Technology Center (NGRTC) in Kennesaw, GA
o Present a Novelis Scholar Invited Lecture on research accomplishments during the year of the award to Novelis scientists and engineers
o NGRTC Lab Tour
o Opportunity to interact with Novelis leadership, and scientists and engineers working on Novelis’ R&D initiatives for real-world challenges
• Submit a letter of recommendation from faculty mentor/research advisor with student’s resume highlighting relevant research, industry experience, and academic excellence to Prof. Shreyes Melkote (email@example.com) with a copy to Dr. Kaveh Berenji (firstname.lastname@example.org). Clearly indicate that your application is for the Novelis Undergraduate Scholars program.
• Deadline for submitting application: November 20, 2023
Please direct any general questions regarding the Novelis Scholars Program to Prof. Shreyes Melkote at email@example.com.