Novelis Graduate Scholars Program
The Novelis Innovation Hub at Georgia Tech is pleased to announce the launch of the Novelis Scholars Program for the 2024 calendar year. Nominations are sought from top graduate students conducting research in various aspects of sustainability (carbon footprint/energy/water/waste reduction etc.), techno-economics of circularity, high-throughput materials discovery, surface functionalization, and AI/data science applications in materials/manufacturing/supply chains. As a global leader in innovative aluminum products and services, and as the world's largest recycler of aluminum, championing the vision of a circular economy, Novelis has partnered with Georgia Tech to collaborate on R&D and promote education of the next generation of engineers and scientists dedicated to building better products and innovative materials and manufacturing processes for a more sustainable world.
Novelis is headquartered in Atlanta with a global footprint, over 13,000 employees and recorded $18.3 billion in revenue for its 2023 fiscal year. Novelis is a subsidiary of Hindalco Industries Limited, an industry leader in aluminum and copper, and the metals flagship company of the Aditya Birla Group, a multinational conglomerate based in Mumbai, India. For more information about Novelis, please visit www.novelis.com and see their press release on expansion of the Novelis-GT Partnership.
• Catalyze and cultivate excellence in graduate level research in strategic growth areas relevant to Novelis and Georgia Tech.
• Connect top students and their thesis advisors with Novelis scientists and engineers to learn about their research and explore collaboration and engagement opportunities.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
• Open to graduate students whose thesis research is focused on one of the following areas of interest to Novelis: 1) Sustainable design, processes, and business practices, 2) High-throughput materials discovery, 3) Surface functionalization/modification technologies, and 4) AI/Data Science applications in materials/manufacturing/supply chains.
• Emphasis on research and academic excellence.
• Must be enrolled as a full-time student during the entire 2024 calendar year.
• Graduate Scholars: $8,000 annual award (in equal monthly stipends) for the 2024 Calendar Year.
• Participate in the 2024 Novelis Scholars Day event to be held at the Novelis Global Research & Technology Center (NGRTC) in Kennesaw, GA
o Present a Novelis Scholar Invited Lecture on research accomplishments during the year of the award to Novelis scientists and engineers.
o NGRTC Lab Tour
o Opportunity to interact with Novelis leadership, and scientists and engineers working on Novelis’ R&D initiatives for real-world challenges.
• Send a short (< 2 pages) nomination letter from thesis advisor and the student’s CV to Prof. Shreyes Melkote at email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Deadline for submitting application: November 20, 2023
Please direct any general questions regarding the Novelis Scholars Program to Prof. Shreyes Melkote (email@example.com).