The Institute for Data Engineering and Science provides the coordination and expertise necessary to link researchers across the Institute, strengthening Georgia Tech's position in big data. The IRI will link research centers and efforts horizontally in foundational areas such as machine learning, high-performance computing, and algorithms. It will also drive research within disciplines such as precision medicine, materials science, energy, and smart cities, giving researchers what they need to innovate and pursue challenges on a much bigger scale than would otherwise be possible. It creates meaningful partnerships and accessible resources and educates future data science leaders. It also addresses long-standing challenges in the world of big data, moving research through the innovation stage to accelerating adoption.
As a key tenant of the recently announced Coda building in Midtown’s Technology Square, the new IRI goes hand in hand with the building project. IDEaS will facilitate new ventures and industrial collaboration between the building’s research neighborhoods, providing a unique opportunity for academia to rub shoulders with industry, and be an asset to other premier education, research, and public-serving institutions in Georgia, particularly Emory University and the Centers for Disease control. It will also collaborate with several stakeholders in the State of Georgia, including the Technology Association of Georgia, and the Georgia Manufacturing Extension Partnership, and serve as an incubator for economic development opportunities.
IDEaS will define and pursue grand challenges in data science foundations and in data-driven discovery in engineering and sciences, in an interdisciplinary multi-investigator endeavor. We will educate and train students and those already in the workforce through innovative educational and training programs. We will engage the government, industry, and general public, and accelerate industry adoption and use of big data technologies. Our goals are to:
- Bring together research centers and efforts horizontally in big data foundations (machine learning, high-performance computing, algorithms) and catalyze data-driven research vertically in important domains (precision medicine, materials science, energy, etc.)
- Empower and assist other Interdisciplinary Research Institutes in their spheres of operation where big data dominates.
- Direct industry looking for partnership and solutions in data analytics to the best collaborative match.
- Educate and train future data science leaders in academia, government, and industry.
- Serve as a focal point for the creation of a workforce trained in data science, and as a creator and incubator of economic opportunities in the big data era.