As an Advocate for Research Translation, this position will help translate faculty and student discoveries from the research environment in biomedical engineering to solutions for clinical problems, interfacing between faculty and intramural and extramural offices and agencies. The purpose of the position is to increase faculty satisfaction with the velocity and quality of technology transfer at Georgia Tech and Emory, to increase faculty awareness of their own intellectual property (IP) potential, and steps and responsibilities in research translation to commercialization, and to increase the visibility of BME intellectual property to industry and investors
EDUCATION, SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Degrees required for this job: PhD in Biology or related scientific field. M.S. in Biology or related scientific field and 3+ years with direct academic commercialization experience.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THIS JOB:
5 years’ related experience
Bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering, Sciences or related fields.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Work experience/knowledge of: consulting (preferably in sciences, academics or engineering), biomedical innovation and development, project management.
- Industry or start up experience in project management
- Deep understanding of regulatory process for approval of devices, drugs and biologics in the US.
- Working knowledge of intellectual property processes and development of claim strategy
- Working knowledge of quality control for devices, drugs or biologics developed for human use.
- Working knowledge of early-stage non-dilutive and dilutive funding opportunities specifically related to research translation
- Comfortable in a dynamic research and development environment where successful decisions are made with incomplete data.
- Superior organizational and multi-task tracking skills.
- Ability to perform well in cross-functional, highly dynamic development teams.
- Excellent communication skills. Articulate and capable of delivering oral presentations in in technical and non-technical environments.
- Ability to multitask and work in teams in a dynamic environment is highly desirable.
- Maintain a professional, credible image with key customers, vendors, and co-workers and the scientific community.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
About the Department
The Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Tech and Emory University was created jointly by the Emory University School of Medicine and the Georgia Tech College of Engineering. As such, we offer the best of both internationally renowned institutions. The Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Tech has been consistently ranked as one of the top BioE/BME programs in the nation for several consecutive years. This program is part of a vibrant biomedical community in Atlanta that includes the Emory School of Medicine, Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Winship Cancer Institute, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA), Georgia ImmunoEngineering Consortium, Institute for Electronics and Nanotechnology, Petit Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience, and more. This rich scientific environment provides unique and unparalleled research opportunities, including seminars given by leaders in science and engineering from throughout the U.S. and abroad, opportunities for collaborations, exposure to diverse research programs, and sophisticated core facilities.
Georgia Tech is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, each company that is a federal contractor or subcontractor is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans.